Peer Assisted Learning and Support Group (PALS)
The PALS Groups provide a forum for adult clients to share ideas and feelings in a group setting. At meetings, clients learn about a variety of visually impaired-related topics,new aids and appliances, and will receive support and encouragement from others going through similar challenges.
Understanding what others have experienced will help you better understand your own vision loss and encourage you to accept the loss and learn skills necessary for everyday independence.
PALS Program Goals:
- Build the confidence of visually impaired adults by teaching effective Orientation and Mobility skills
- Educate clients on ways to cope with vision loss, and how everyday tasks can be modified and handled
- Encourage clients to try new aids and appliances
- Minimize feelings of isolation and depression that are often associated with vision loss
- Provide opportunities to be involved in the community by participating in activities and outings