S.M.A.R.T. Device Training
"I always knew my iPad could do this, I just had no idea how to make it do it! Thank you so much!"
The S.M.A.R.T. Device Training program for adults offers training on iPad, smartphone, smart speaker, and tablet technology as well as standard application and adaptive software and hardware including screen print enlargers and speech and Braille input and output devices. This program allows adult clients to have equal access to information and communication as their sighted peers.
S.M.A.R.T. stands for
The S.M.A.R.T. Device Training program teaches clients to confidently operate iPads, tablets, smartphones and other assistive technology devices. Clients develop a level of proficiency with these technologies that provides them with a greater sense of independence in many areas of their lives including but not limited to social interactions, communication, entertainment, personal navigation, and financial management. Clients receive direct, individualized instruction and periodic support to keep up with technological updates. VABVI staff provide the necessary training and provide clients with continuing education to stay current.
Clients train to use these technologies to:
- Use the accessibility features of computers, smartphones and tablets.
- Use voice operated commands of smart devices to gather and send information.
- Access telecommunications including on the web, making phone calls, video conferencing, email, text messages and the use of social media.
- Assist in organizational planning (labeling, scheduling, reminders, filing, etc)
- Access OCR technology
- Access to emergency alerts communicated by local, state and federal governments.
- Manage finances, prescriptions, emergency contacts, etc.
- Access to Newsline, National Library of congress services and other media outlets.
- Assist in GPS and route planning.
VABVI has a limited number of devices to loan for training purposes. If you have a device that you no longer use, we accept donations of iPads, Smartphones, smart speakers or tablets for our training program.